Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why these inventions

Srila Prabhupadas letter,
Bombay 3 December, 1972

To Brooklyn NY

My dear Ekayani,

Please accept my blessings. I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated November 1, 1972, and I have noted the contents with great concern. I do not know why these things inventions are going on. That is our only business, to invent something new programme? We have already got our Vaisnava standard. That is sufficient for Madhvacarya, Ramanujacarya, it was sufficient for Lord Caitanya, six Gosvamis, for Bhaktivinode Thakura, for my Guru Maharaja Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, for me, for all big big saints and acaryas in our line—why it shall be inadequate for my disciples so they must manufacture something? That is not possible. Who has introduced these things, that women cannot have chanting japa in the temple, they cannot perform the arati and so many things? If they become agitated, then let the brahmacaris go to the forest, I have never introduced these things. The brahmacaris cannot remain in the presence of women in the temple, then they may go to the forest, not remaining in New York City, because in New York there are so many women, so how they can avoid seeing? Best thing is to go to the forest for not seeing any women, if they become so easily agitated, but then no one will either see them and how our preaching work will go on?

They should not simply, husband and wife, live in the room together in the temple, otherwise there is no restriction. How it can be? It is not possible.

Hoping this will meet you in good health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

cc: Bali Mardan Goswami

ACBS/sda